Richard Garbe British, 1876-1957

Born in Dalston, London and christened Louis Richard, however he was known by the family and professionally as Richard, or Richard Louis Garbe. He was the second son of Gustave Garbe (1850-1919, born in Prussia), an ivory carver, and twin of Franz Paul Garbe (1876-1954). Richard was trained in his father's workshop but also studied at the Central School of Arts and Crafts. He later returned to teach there (1899-1929), also becoming Head of Sculpture at the Royal College of Art (1926-46).

Although Garbe practiced and taught modelling he was primarily a carver. His obituary noted that his primary affinities were with Chinese carvers in jade and crystal, Japanese 'netsuke' and Gothic craftsmen. Garbe's best known large scale work was the pair of groups for the east pavilion of the National Museum of Wales at Cardiff representing the medieval and modern periods. He retired to Hornchurch, Essex and died in Surrey.